Pelosi and McGovern Unveil Details of Rules Package for the 116th Congress
Restore the people’s voice
Aligns Congress’ agenda with Americans’ expressed priorities:
1. Defending the Affordable Care Act’s pre-existing conditions coverage
2. Creating a Select Committee on the Climate Crisis – to respond to the urgency of threat while also creating good-paying, green jobs of the future
3. Protecting federal workers from appropriations bills that target reductions in salaries of or firing a specific federal employee or cut a specific program
4. Strengthening representation for Puerto Rico and District of Columbia by giving the representation voting rights and ensuring they can be appointed to Joint Committees
5. Honoring our commitment to workers by putting labor back in the Committee on Education and Labor.
Restore the legislative process
Creates a more accommodating process for consideration of ideas:
1. Establish a real 72-hour rule so Members of Congress have time to read the major bills they’re voting on
2. Create a consensus calendar to expedite consideration of measures with broad bipartisan support
3. Require bills that go through the Rules Committee to have a hearing and a markup before they go to the floor
4. Create a bipartisan Select Committee to modernize and improve Congress.
Restore oversight and ethics
Cleans up Washington by reasserting the legislative branch as a co-equal branch of government:
1. Close the conflict of interest loophole (no Members, Delegates, the Resident Commissioner, or their staff may serve on corporate boards)
2. Require all Members of Congress – not just new Members – to complete ethics training every year
3. Provide training to congressional staff for properly and securely handling whistleblowers who reach out to congressional offices
4. Make clear that nondisclosure agreements cannot be used to prohibit current or former staff from reporting possible wrongdoing
5. Set a policy that Members indicted for serious crimes resign from their leadership roles and committee assignments.
Restore budget rules
Eliminates sham budgetary process of CUTGO that pretends tax cuts pay for themselves:
1. Streamlines budget rules
2. Eliminates dynamic scoring requirements
3. Reinstates and modernizes Gephardt Rule to protect our nation’s credit rating
4. End the policy that allows Federal lands to be given away FREE without acknowledging the budgetary impact.
Restore inclusion and diversity
The House of Representatives should reflect the faces of America:
1. Amend House rules to clearly ban discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity
2. Ensure religious expression by clarifying that religious headwear is permitted to be worn in the House chamber
3. Create a diversity office to facilitate a workforce that reflects Members and the districts they represent
4. Create a subcommittee within the Committee on Financial Services to oversee diversity and inclusion within the financial services space.